Thursday, February 11, 2010

Choosing a GPS receiver for use in the Philippines

We hear a lot about GPS, specially in new hi-tech mobile phones. GPS is different from GPRS, GPRS are protocols used in mobile phone data transmissions, while the latter (GPS) is used for accurately determining points/position on earth or as a navigational aid. Questions mostly asked:

1. What is this GPS?
2. Does it have charges for using it's signal like phone bills?
3. Do I really need one?
4. Where will I use it?
5. How many hours will I be using the GPS receiver on a daily basis?
6. Do I need an all in one device like a mobile phone with built-in GPS receiver?
7. Are there maps available for my country(in my case, it's the Philippines)?
8. How much is it? Where to buy?

These questions could also be your guide before buying a GPS receiver. I tried to find out all about GPS before I bought one, done my research thru googling.

1. GPS is an acronym for Global Positioning System, it's used for navigation system using satellites orbiting around the earth. The satellites provide the data like time, distance,and it's position, while the receivers' on board computers calculate and determine your position gives out your latitude, longitude and altitude. It even has an accurate clock (atomic clock), where you could synchronize your watch to determine exact time.

2. It's totally free, GPS is a military technology, but years later, allowed civilian use. No charges, except for phone based A-GPS and phones that use the cellular mobile phone network to download maps.

3. Do I really need one? If you drive and find unfamiliar roads, trying to get around traffic jams. If you like trekking, mountain climbing or hiking. Loves traveling, just for land surveying or just simply the love for electronic gadgets.

4. Things to consider like battery life, screen size and legibility, portability and reliability. I thought to my self, I won't be using it much in a car, but on a motorcycle. But most of the time, I'll be on foot so, battery power's stamina should be long or at least, I can easily replace the batteries. At least it's waterproof and rugged. Portable, easy to carry and hold with one hand. This is the reason I chose the Garmin GPSMap 60Csx, instead of mobile phones or car gps navigational models. An oldie but goodie. I don't need hi-tech gpsr(gps receiver) with touch screen ones and being able to display thousands or millions of colors for map display. What I need is a sensitive and accurate receiver. Rugged unit, able to handle some kind of accidental punishments like dropping, or accidentally dipping it to water.

5. GPSmap 60csx uses the common double A sized batteries. I used 3 pairs of sanyo eneloop batteries.

6. Don't need multi-talented mobile phones. They're too much fragile to carry around rocky and mountainous areas.

7. There are no Philippine Garmin map products. But there are maps made by a community/forum members, although not complete, it's currently updated by member's data contributions. Best of all it's free! But, it's not a licensed garmin map data. You may find more info in roadguide.ph. BTW, their maps are only garmin compatible, so, as much as possible, only buy garmin compatible products. Although, I'm not endorsing or suggesting this is the best brand to buy. But you won't have a hard time getting the map into your gpsr if you have a garmin device.

8. GPS receivers ranges from 5,000PhP up. Some Car navigation devices cost less compared to portable handheld ones. Also, buying GPSr outside the Philippines is cheaper. Prices in malls are way too expensive.

Next, I'll be reviewing my Garmin GPSMap 60csx.

No comments:

 
Pinoy-Blogs.com